When you’re looking for a great bike rack,you should consider the amount of bikes you’ll likely be transporting. As you have probably already seen on the roads, bike racks today come in a range of different sizes and shapeswith the most common onesbeing designed to carry as little as one bike, or as many as four.
So, think about just how many bikes you will need your rack to carry, and at the same time, not forgetting that you may even add some more bikes sometime in the future.
- One more thing to think about is that if one rack is not large enough to supportevery one of your bicycles, it might just be possible to fit your vehicle with two.
Think About the Location
You will need to think aboutwhere exactly you want your bike rack attached to your vehicle. It is possible to mount it on the roof, to the boot or rear door, or even fitted to a trailer hitch.
- Don’t forget, that where you fit your rack is of vital importance.
Bike roof racks have the benefit of being well out of the way and there’s certainly no worriesof any bicycles getting in your line of sight or blocking access to the boot.
- The disadvantages to the roof mounted rack are that they will need expert installation, and that any bikes up on the roof rack are more difficult to stow and retrieve.
At the Rear
A boot or a rear mounted bike carrier isa lot simpler to use, and is more affordable.They are easy to attach with straps and hooks to any car, and can be easily removed when not required. The only disadvantages to a boot mounted rack is access to the boot or back of a vehicle and a slightly less durable build.
- Because they rely upon straps and other parts which are not as robust and permanent as bike racks, they are somewhatmore susceptible to damage and theft.
Bike racks which attach to the trailer hitch are usually of a strongerbuild, and can usually hold up to up to four bikes. Naturally, any vehicle must have a trailer hitch fitted so as to make use ofone of these, and if the rack is being put to use, you cannot haul a trailer.
- Thesetypesof rack are usuallymore solid, which is great for durability, but makes them a little bit harder to attach, detach, and put away when not being used.
Getting a Great Deal
Just like anything else out there on the market, take a good look around for the perfect product at the perfect price and ask the dealer if they have any package deals, mounting instructions, and product warranties.
By adding a cool bike rack to your vehicle, it is a superb way of taking your bikes with you wherever you want to venture.