Tewkesbury is known as a quaint little town situated on the River Severn, with its many shops and the Abbey and its extensive grounds.
It is a growing town with many new build areas and people often look to expand on the houses they already have with many searching for Tewkesbury Conservatories. (If you are looking then https://www.firmfix.co.uk/conservatories/ is a good place to start)
The town dates back to Saxon times with the name Tewkesbury being derived from ‘Theoc’ (the name of the man who founded it). But it is probably most well known for the part it played in the War of the Roses with one of the most influential battles taking place in town on 4th May 1471.
There are many key features in Tewkesbury some of which can be found below:
- The Black Bear pub is the oldest public house in Gloucestershire and dates back to 1308.
- The Royal Hop Pole Hotel which can be found in Church Street is mentioned in Charles Dickens ‘The Pickwick Papers’.
- The Mythe Bridge which crosses the Rover Severn was built by Thomas Telford. This structure is made of cast-iron and spans 170 feet. It was officially opened in 1826.
- The Roses Theatre is a modern addition to the town but has equal prominence. The actor Eric Morecambe is remembered and honoured with a conference room named after him as it was at this theatre that he collapsed before passing away at nearby Cheltenham Hospital.
- Several of Shakespeare’s plays reference Tewkesbury in some manner with the ‘Tewkesbury Mustard’ (a blend of mustard and horseradish) made the town famous in the 17th Century and is mentioned by the bard. The Battle of Tewkesbury is mentioned in his work Richard III.
- Tewkesbury Abbey is steeped in history. The Norman abbey church was purchased by the local people from King Henry VIII during the dissolution of the monasteries. They paid the King for the price of the roof lead. The church was originally part of a monastery although most of these buildings and grounds were destroyed during King Henry VIII’s reign. The abbey has been said to be the third largest church in Great Britain than is not classed as a Cathedral.
Tewkesbury Abbey is most famous for its medieval stained glass and also has some examples of Victorian stained glass.
The Abbey bells are situated in the Norman church tower which itself is 14 metres square and 45 metres high. Henry VIII had an impact on the bells as well as the building and surrounding are with reports stating that he sold 8 of the bells to the parish for £142. He usually preferred to melt down the bells to use the metal in his warships.
There are lots more wonderful sites to see in Tewkesbury and the town is well worth a visit.